Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Pete Doherty "in mourning" for drugs

Pete Doherty has admitted that he is in mourning for his drug-taking past.

He said he enjoys being sober after kicking his addictions, but is still adjusting to his new lifestyle.

The Babyshambles frontman told NME:"It's hard work. I think I miss it [drugs] a bit. After years of entrenched drug abuse, you have a mourning period. I know it's a bit sad, but I'm in mourning. I'm in mourning for an armful."

Doherty was last week given a two-year suspended jail sentence, an 18-month supervision order and a 12-month drug rehabilitation order after admitting to possession of heroin, crack cocaine, ketamine and cannabis, as well as driving without insurance or MOT.

However, he predicted that his chances of staying out of trouble are "quite slim", saying: "It's quite a lengthy probation requirement and drug-testing order. It might have been better to do a couple of months and have it done with, to be honest. But that's a bit defeatist - it's pessimistic.

"I don't want to go to jail, I've had enough of all that. But the chances of me not getting arrested once in the next 18 months are quite slim really - the way the Old Bill are."

Talking about the band's new LP Shotter's Nation, he said: "I'm proud of the new album. I just want to get on the road and play those songs."

No comments: